Vegetarian Spring Salad with Peas & Lentils (22g protein!)
HurryTheFoodUp is reader-powered. If you click through using links on our site we may earn a small commission at no cost to you.
Looking for the best spring salad recipe ever to grace your lunch times as the days grow ever sunnier? We’ve got what you need!
This spring vegetable salad with lentils and a greek yoghurt dressing is fresh, zesty and gloriously healthy.
In the winter months we tend to switch to soups to get light, veg filled meals in a warm (!) package.
But spring is inching ever closer ( or maybe it has already arrived for those of you who aren’t based in the chilly climes of Northern Europe), and that means that it’s salad time.
Nothing beats fresh, crunchy, in season veggies tossed in a delicious dressing. Especially when eaten with the sun on your face.
Or on a balcony…or a beach…by a pool…oops, I’m getting carried away! The classic British reaction to the least amount of sunshine!
I’ll put my flip flops away and get back to business!
Spring salad – spring it on!
When I say spring salad, what do I mean? I mean that this recipe focuses on vegetables that are in season in springtime and flavours that we associate with the season.
So today we have peas, rocket, radishes and green onions. Most of these come into season between March and May, making it the best time to eat them for many reasons.
Not only will they be super tasty and fresh, buying locally and in season reduces the environmental impact of your veg, because it won’t have been transported from as far or stored for as long.
However this salad isn’t solely made up of yummy veg, it is also a green lentil salad with a lemony greek yoghurt dressing (if you’re not feeling, check out these vegan lentil recipes!).
The lentils and yoghurt add crucial protein to the overall nutritional profile of the dish.
Subscribe to get our FREE 7-Day Vegetarian High Protein Meal Plan for Weight Loss
An ode to lentils – why we love ’em!
Adding lentils to your veg is one of our favourite spring salad ideas because lentils are just so incredibly healthy and easy to prepare!
Lentils are PACKED with protein and fibre, making them generally healthy and more specifically great for weight loss, because protein and fibre contain the hormones that help you feel full.
A big bowl of spring salad with lentils for lunch will keep you going all afternoon, without piling on excess calories.
But for now we can assure you that this easy lentil salad recipe is a great place to start (it’s also one of our top salad recipes for macro diets!)!
- ⅓ cup beluga lentils, dried
- ⅓ cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- ½ cup low fat Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic (minced, divided)
- 1 lemon
- 2 handful arugula
- 4 medium radish (sliced)
- 1 green onion (sliced)
- ¼ cup fresh herbs of choice (roughly chopped. Parsley, dill, cilantro, mint, basil)
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- 2 flatbreads
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp sumac (optional but encouraged)
- Cook lentils according to package instructions until they are tender but not falling apart. When soft, add peas and cook for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.⅓ cup beluga lentils, dried, ⅓ cup peas
- Meanwhile, mix Greek yogurt with 1 tbsp water, half the minced garlic clove, ½ tsp salt and the zest of 1 lemon. Spread on the base of a salad platter.½ cup low fat Greek yogurt, 1 clove garlic, 1 lemon, Salt to taste
- In a bowl add the cooked lentils and peas, salad greens, radish, green onions, and herbs of choice.2 handful arugula, 4 medium radish, 1 green onion, ¼ cup fresh herbs of choice
- Season with olive oil, lemon juice of ½ lemon, sumac and remaining minced garlic. Season with salt.1 lemon, 1 ½ tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp sumac
- Place salad on top of the yogurt sauce on the salad platter. Serve with flatbread.2 flatbreads