It’s a bittersweet time of year. The Christmas buzz is fading away, happy memories mingling with dark, cold days and the next holiday still probably a long way off.
So we thought we’d take a salad to mirror our mood. This pear walnut salad combines two distinct types of flavour – we mix the naturally tangy, bitter taste of the rocket or lamb’s lettuce with the sweetness of pear and dried dates, cranberries or raisins and top it off with a hint of orange.
It somehow tastes light and wintery too – perfect for brightening up chilly days or gloomy evenings. If you’re feeling you’ve slightly overindulged during the holiday period (like most of us, I imagine), this is a great way to get back to a better eating regime. Boring salads suck and are liable to put you off them – so how about one with added walnuts, balsamic cream and a little dijon mustard mixed together? Sounds (and tastes!) good to me.
Health Benefits – Pear Walnut Salad
If your body is feeling in need of a quick pick me up, then look no further than rocket (often known as rucola or arugula). It’s packed with a wide range of vitamins such as A, K and C, as well as all-important minerals like calcium, magnesium and iron.
Pears are also a bit of a fiber beast – just one small pear contains nearly one fifth of your fiber needs for the day – and most people get nowhere near their recommended amount! It helps against so many things, including heart disease, diabetes and even weight loss. Yep, awesome.
PS: Congratz +Giveaway!
Our friend and highly gifted recipe creator Ginny McMeans over at Vegan in the Freezer just published her first book (like a real book)! It features 125 freezer friendly recipes! Why is that awesome? Because Ginny gives tips to better organize your cooking sessions (save loads of time) and she shows you many creative ways to cook vegan (you’ll be the star of any cooking party).
Check out the book over here at her blog and make sure to enter the giveaway too (you can win a Glasslock 18-Piece Assorted Freezer/Oven Safe Container Set)!
- ½ cup shelled walnuts
- 1 pear
- ½ cup dried dates/cranberries/raisins
- 4 cups rocket (arugula, rucola) or lamb’s lettuce (corn salad)
- Juice of half an orange/1/8 cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp balsamic cream or vinegar
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Serve with toasted wholemeal bread or baguette.
- Crush the walnuts - the easiest way is to put them in a large bowl and use something solid like a sturdy glass or the end of a rolling pin.
- Dice the pear and dried fruits into small cubes. Think roughly the size of a quartered date. If you’re using raisins, you can probably leave those as they are ;). Add them and the washed rocket and/or lamb’s lettuce to the bowl too. Do make sure you wash the salad first, rocket often comes with a load of grit!
- Mix the orange juice, balsamic cream, mustard and olive oil together. Chuck in a dash or two of salt and pepper.
- Stir into the salad. Serve. Done!