Proper Roast Potatoes (30+60 Min, Vegan)
HurryTheFoodUp is reader-powered. If you click through using links on our site we may earn a small commission at no cost to you.
There’s a bit of an art to making really good roast potatoes. Many will tell you it takes years of practice and a lot of time. Not so 😉
Follow this method and you’ll be cooking amazing roast potatoes the first time, and every time after.
They’ll be fluffy and light in the middle, crispy and crunchy on the outside. Nom nom. Christmas is ready!
You can also put a bit of a twist on the old classic – throw in some sliced red onions halfway through cooking.
They add a nice separate tang to the flavour, and won’t burn unless you add them too early. So wait until halfway through!
Health Benefits – Proper Roast Potatoes
Hands up. We’ve been a bit naughty recently. And this dish isn’t exactly going to make up for the holiday season festivities.
But the potatoes are mostly for your guests anyway, right? Enjoy!
- 2 red onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- Peel then chop the potatoes into equal chunks (you can always leave the peel on – it’s quicker.)
- Boil in water for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat a baking tray in the oven with oil at about 200C/400F.
- Remove the potatoes and drain using colander.
- Flip the potatoes in the colander a few times. This is to rough up and break the outsides so they crisp up better later.
- Put the potatoes into the hot tray and use a spatula to mix up and cover the potatoes in oil.
- When coated, make sure they’re all side by side and never on top of one another.
- Cook for 30 minutes at 200C/400F.
- After 30 mins, remove from oven and add the rosemary (if you put it in at the start it can burn), salt, pepper and vinegar.
- Give it another good mix to ensure the potatoes and rosemary are all covered in oil.
- Cook for a further 30 minutes at 200C/400F or until crispy and brown.
- At the middle stage of cooking you can add some red onions (sliced in rings) which also roast up really nicely. Make sure they’re also covered in oil
- You can also add some cloves of garlic (remove before eating!) for extra flavour.
- Enjoy your perfect roast potatoes!