Healthy & Easy Bread Pudding Breakfast
HurryTheFoodUp is reader-powered. If you click through using links on our site we may earn a small commission at no cost to you.
Old fashioned bread pudding is one of my absolute favourite desserts, an all time classic – so when Abril suggested we develop healthy bread pudding breakfast casserole … I was extremely excited!
The chance to have dessert for breakfast, AND it still be healthy? Now that’s something I can’t refuse!
And sure enough, it did not disappoint.
Torn bread soaked in sweet custard, with juicy blueberries and raspberries, then baked to perfection in a personal pot. Crispy on top, soft in the middle. Add a dollop of creamy greek yogurt and breakfast is served!
Bread Pudding Breakfast: pudding your health first
Bread pudding might not be the first thing you associate with healthy eating. But the reason we think this is the best bread pudding recipe ever is because it is also a healthy bread and butter pudding!
We’ve lowered the unhealthy aspects and elevated the healthy to make a simple bread and butter pudding recipe that can be eaten as part of a weight loss journey or general healthy diet.
How have we done that?
First of all, easy peasy, we’ve swapped white bread for whole grain bread, because wholegrain foods are healthier overall than refined grains.
Second of all, we’ve monitored the levels of sugar and fat, using only the least sugar and milk necessary. Overall, a portion of our bread pudding breakfast contains 15g fat, and 22g sugar, which isn’t too bad at all!
We’ve also incorporated fresh blueberries and raspberries instead of the traditional raisins. Fresh fruit is always a good shout for breakfast – lots of nutrients!
Last but not least, we have focussed on the protein potential of bread pudding. Of course, it contains eggs, but not all that many, so we serve it with a dollop of greek yogurt, which brings the protein levels up to 23g per serving.
Not to mention being a delicious, fresh and cool accompaniment.
If you like the way we’ve health-ified bread pudding, check out how we made healthy oat and banana pancakes, and healthy French toast, or check out our weight loss meal plans, to find out how we’ve health-ified everything else!
How to make bread pudding from scratch
If you’ve been wondering how to make bread pudding from scratch, then look no further – this easy bread pudding recipe takes just 20 minutes.
We knew we had to make this a simple bread pudding recipe, because no one wants to be faffing about when it comes to breakfast.
Just mix the eggs, milk, sugar and spices in a bowl, add the bread, fruit and seeds, separate into single serving bowls and bake! Easy-peasy, simple-pimple.
20 minutes later and you have a hot bowl of blueberry bread pudding breakfast on your table!
We haven’t tried this with gluten free bread, but if you do, please let us know how it turns out!
This could also be a challenge to vegan-ise, due to the importance of eggs, but by all means give it a go with your favourite milk substitute (we like full fat coconut!) and a liquid egg replacement like those explored here, and let us know how it goes!
Does bread pudding need to be refrigerated? If you want to keep it to eat later, we would recommend only keeping it out of the fridge for 1 day maximum. You can refrigerate it for 2-3 days, but it might dry out a bit.
Any longer than that and it’s best to freeze it then heat it up in the oven – it will come out as soft and creamy as if it was fresh!
- Preheat the oven to 250 C.
- In a medium bowl add the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla extract and ground cinnamon. Mix until fully combined.2 eggs, ¾ cup milk, 1 ¾ tbsp sugar, 1 tsp vanilla extract, ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Add bread that has been torn into about 1 inch pieces, blueberries/raspberries and seeds or almonds. Mix until you see that all the bread pieces are in touch with the liquid.4.5 oz wholegrain bread, 4 tbsp blueberries/raspberries, 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- Brush a small baking mould with oil or give it a light coating with oil spray. Transfer the bread pudding mix and spread evenly.
- Bake for 10 minutes in the middle rack of the oven. Then transfer to the highest rack, turn on the grill or broiler setting at the highest temp. and bake until the bread pudding is golden brown, about 3-5 minutes.
- Serve bread pudding and dollop with greek yogurt.4 tbsp Greek yogurt