Sexy veggie lentil stew. Let’s face it, there’s nothing sexy about stew. But, let me explain. Looking after your body = hot. Hot is sexy. Lentil stew looks after your body, and your body will look after you.
If you’re reading this at the start of the new year, and you’re with the other 100% of people who have joined a new gym, then good on you!
If you haven’t, but have realised what you eat is actually ridiculously important – good on you!
Before I move on to just why this veggie lentil stew is so good for you, I really have to mention how easy it is.
After a couple of minutes prepping, you pretty much throw the rest of the ingredients into a large pot and they’ll cook themselves. Awesome.
Vegetarian (and vegan) lentil stew
Naturally, this stew is vegetarian. What’s even better is that it’s vegan too. It’s also incredibly nutritious. Between them, lentils and rice pack one heck of a veggie punch.
Many people just don’t get enough fiber in their diet, and this stew is here to change that.
Just one small portion of it contains 63% of the recommended daily intake, and that’s just the beginning.
Veggie Lentil Stew – what’s in it for me?
Brown rice is also a nutrient-rich powerhouse, and provides so much needed fuel for your body.
It can help against type 2 diabetes, the severity of asthma, lower cholesterol, promote cardiovascular health and a whole lot more.
The first step in increasing health should be to take a real look at your food intake – small steps always help, no matter how inconsequential they may seem at the beginning.
On this website we also strongly believe that going vegetarian is key to our future, and if this interests you but you’re not sure how to start then make sure you check out the 30 Day Veggie Challenge.
This delicious veggie lentil stew comes with thanks from a great chef, Cristina Parés. Do check her out if you’d like to know more (and can speak Spanish)!
PS. I highly recommend vegetarian lentil stew with tomato chutney!
Sexy Veggie Lentil Stew
The sexiest lentil stew you have ever eaten. A nutritional powerhouse, this recipe is here to kickstart your year - and your health.
Optional: we highly recommend serving this stew with a good chutney! Alternatively, a drizzle of lemon or a vegan yogurt also go excellently.
- Put the cumin and cayenne pepper into a large pot and toast it slowly (no oil).
- In the meantime, dice the garlic and onion.
- When the cumin begins to smell (after 2 or 3 minutes usually), add the olive oil, garlic and onion. Let it cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomato concentrate, the red lentils, rice, the vegetable broth and water.
- When it begins to boil, add the turmeric, bay leaf and thyme. Cover and let simmer gently for 20-25 minutes. Stir every few minutes. Have a quick taste test to make sure the rice is cooked to your liking. Add the salt, remove well and turn off the heat. Add the paprika and serve.