What do athletes eat? We thought we’d try a new spin on a few recipes – and find out what the healthiest and fittest among us actually eat.
You’re still hitting the gym, the workouts are going well…and you are what you eat. So let’s find out.
The original recipe of this tasty high-protein salad was posted by Patrick Reiser, a Swiss bodybuilder, who won the natural bodybuilding championship in his country in 2013.
He runs a fitness youtube channel where he talks about his trainings routines and meal plans.
Even though we think the videos are sometimes a little silly, he definitely has great knowledge about nutrition and it’s worth checking out what he eats to stay in shape.
Health Benefits – Fitness Lentil Bean Salad
This is what Patrick Reiser had to say about his recipe:
- Good after a workout to recharge on carbohydrates and your glycogen storage. Glycogen is found in carbs and it’s important to restore your energy levels that have been emptied during your workout session (1)
- Also contains 40g of protein per serving (when the whole salad is considered one serving) which is of course important for muscle growth (2).
And this what we have to say about his recipe:
- The sauce itself gives you plenty of freedom to be creative in the kitchen – you can make your own salsa, use a spicy sauce or even just a good ol’ tomato ketchup. That’s up to you.
- The rest of it is loaded with protein – so important in so many ways. As Harvard points out, vegetable proteins have so many benefits: save your health, save your cash and save the planet.
We want to know:
- What’s your favourite exercise/workout?
- Are you sticking to your routines?
- And what’s your favourite post-workout meal?
Fitness Lentil Bean Salad (25 Min, Vegan)
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ cup tomato puree
If using dried red lentils then prepare according to package instructions (or just add 1 part red lentils to 1.5 parts of water with a little salt in a pot. Bring it to a boil and then let the lentils simmer for about 12-15 minutes depending on how soft you like them. Season with a little more salt, when the lentils are cooked. Alternatively you can cook them in veggie broth for extra flavour).
- Meanwhile cut the spring onions and bell pepper. Also grate the garlic.
Get a big bowl and throw in all the ingredients, including the lentils and beans.
- Finally, if using, add the tomato sauce (as much as you like), give it a stir, do a taste test and, if necessary, season one last time with salt and pepper.
Adapted from Patrick Reiser
Miss anything? Get it on
Disclosure of Material Connection: The products above are linking to Amazon as “affiliate links” because we're affiliates! When you click on a product, it'll take you to its Amazon page where the price stays the same for you and Amazon pays us a small percentage. This helps us continue to provide quality recipes and pay for operating costs.