Healthy Spring Vegetable Fried Rice
HurryTheFoodUp is reader-powered. If you click through using links on our site we may earn a small commission at no cost to you.
A vegetable fried rice recipe is a great way to use up leftover ingredients that would otherwise go to waste!
You might associate egg fried rice with greasy, salty takeaway food, but trust me, it is super easy to make healthy egg fried rice with vegetables and a limited amount of fat and salt.
This healthy vegetarian fried rice is our new go to lunch, and we hope you will love it too.
WOK to expect from this vegetable fried rice recipe!
So healthy fried rice with egg – what’s the secret? It’s straightforward really – lots of vegetables, minimal fat, brown rice and extra eggs for protein!
We use brown rice because it is a whole grain source of carbohydrates, meaning it is more fibrous and overall more nutritious than refined grains like white rice.
We serve our fried rice with a fried egg on top because eggs are a great vegetarian source of protein, as well as healthy cholesterol and other things.
The result is a delicious dish with 411 kcal per serving, 20 grams of protein and 12g fat of which only 3 are saturated. Not too shabby!
We would recommend this healthy fried rice recipe as part of a weight loss diet because it is filling, high in protein and has a decent overall calorie count for a midday meal.
It would make a perfect lunch in one of our vegetarian weight loss meal plans!
Subscribe to get our FREE 7-Day Vegetarian High Protein Meal Plan for Weight Loss
How to make veggie fried rice
Our healthy fried rice recipe calls for brown rice, asparagus, leek, spinach and peas. We picked them because they’re in season right now, so most likely to be grown locally and taste their most fresh & delicious.
But really you can use any veg you have knocking around your fridge – vegetable fried rice recipes are nothing if not versatile.
For seasoning, we stick to the classic combo of ginger, garlic soy and spring onions. Those typically ‘Asian’ flavours give this a chinese vegetable fried rice taste.
To prepare it, just fry up the rice and veg in a little bit of oil (we use olive oil, but sesame would work too), then add a whisked egg. Serve with a fried egg on top!
If you want to try another easy vegetarian Asian-inspired meal, why not give this vegan ‘fake’ lo mein a go?
But for now, please let us know what you make of our vegetable fried rice recipe!
- 1 ¾ cup brown rice, cooked (pre-cooked or leftover rice is perfect, 115g or ⅔ cup))
- 1 garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp ginger, fresh (grated)
- ½ medium leek
- 5 spears asparagus
- 4 handful spinach
- 2 green onions (sliced)
- 3 eggs (divided)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ½ cup peas
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ lemon
- Black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- If you don't have already cooked brown rice, then get it cooking now, according to packet instructions.
- Prepare minced garlic, grated ginger, roughly sliced leeks, asparagus and spinach. Thinly slice green onion. Whip one of the eggs and cook the other two fried or sunny side up.1 garlic, 1 tsp ginger, fresh, ½ medium leek, 5 spears asparagus, 4 handful spinach, 2 green onions, 3 eggs
- In a large pan over high heat add the olive oil, minced garlic and grated ginger. Cook until the garlic and ginger begin to brown, about 1 minute.1 tsp olive oil
- Add rice and mix. Cook for about 3 minutes, moving a little once in a while, until the rice begins to get crispy.1 ¾ cup brown rice, cooked
- Turn heat to medium and add the sesame oil, leeks, peas, asparagus and spinach, plus salt. Cook for about 4 minutes, until the veggies have softened.1 tsp sesame oil, Salt to taste, ½ cup peas
- Move the fried rice and veggies to one side of the pan and leave the other side mostly empty. Add the beaten egg to the empty side and stir to break up while it cooks. When it’s mostly done, incorporate it with the rest of ingredients in the pan.
- Season fried rice with soy sauce and freshly cracked black pepper to taste. Taste and add extra salt if needed.2 tbsp soy sauce, Black pepper to taste
- Serve immediately topped with green onion and fried or sunny side up eggs. Season with lemon juice.2 green onions, ½ lemon
- Tips: This is a great recipe for leftovers.
- Make-ahead? I would make that dish on the spot, but ideally you prep the rice the night before.