The Veggie King Microwave Baked Potato Recipe
HurryTheFoodUp is reader-powered. If you click through using links on our site we may earn a small commission at no cost to you.
Go wild and cook up your favourite veggies. We love grilled or fried zucchini, bell peppers, carrots, onion, mushrooms, corn and chili peppers. Cook them simply in a pan with a few herbs or spices (this fajita mix is perfect) or in a sauce (like this simple salsa).
Getting a baked potato just right is rewarding in itself. It’s surprisingly easy to do and the cooking instructions are included in the recipe card below. For more extensive instructions as well as a load more topping ideas, please see our main microwave baked potato post.
- Microwave the large potato for nine minutes. A medium potato needs seven minutes and a small potato needs five minutes. To add extra potatoes allow an extra four minutes for a large potato, three minutes for a medium potato and two minutes for a small potato. This is using a 1000w microwave – adjust for slightly longer or shorter if yours is a higher or lower power. Don't forget to pierce the potatoes with a fork a few times.7 oz potato
- Chop the zucchini and bell pepper into small pieces and fry in oil for about six minutes.½ zucchini, ½ bell pepper, red, 1 tsp olive oil
- While frying add the spices (or the fajita spice mix), and ⅛ cup water to the veg. Give it a good stir and add the beans for the last minute or so.¾ cup black beans, cooked, 1 tbsp fajita spice mix, ¼ cup water, 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- When ready, slice a deep groove through the middle of the potato in both directions. Repeat the process diagonally.
- Season the potato with salt and pepper.Salt and pepper to taste
- Pour the veggie medley over the potato. Sprinkle the nutritional yeast over the top.
- Tips: No microwave? Just boil or bake your potatoes. Easy!
- Make-ahead? Yes, works nicely.
- Freezable? Yes, can be frozen after it’s prepared!