Go wild and cook up your favourite veggies. We love grilled or fried zucchini, bell peppers, carrots, onion, mushrooms, corn and chili peppers. Cook them simply in a pan with a few herbs or spices (this fajita mix is perfect) or in a sauce (like this simple salsa).
Getting a baked potato just right is rewarding in itself. It’s surprisingly easy to do and the cooking instructions are included in the recipe card below. For more extensive instructions as well as a load more topping ideas, please see our main microwave baked potato post.
The Veggie King
- 1 large potato
- ½ zucchini
- ½ bell pepper, red
- ¼ cup corn
- 1 tbsp spice mix
- ⅛ cup water
- 1 tbsp butter (vegan margarine)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Microwave the large potato for nine minutes. A medium potato needs seven minutes and a small potato needs five minutes. To add extra potatoes allow an extra four minutes for a large potato, three minutes for a medium potato and two minutes for a small potato. This is using a 1000w microwave – adjust for slightly longer or shorter if yours is a higher or lower power. Don't forget to pierce the potatoes with a fork a few times.
- Chop the zucchini and bell pepper into small pieces and fry in oil for about six minutes.
- While frying add one tbsp spice mix and ⅛ cup water to the veg. Give it a good stir and add the corn for the last minute or so.
- When ready, slice a deep groove through the middle of the potato in both directions. Repeat the process diagonally.
- Add optional butter, salt and pepper to the potato.
- Pour the veggie medley over the potato.