Every now and then a recipe grabs me, and I mean reeeaaallly grabs me. Like, by the balls and won’t let go.
The last was this Tangy Veggie Wrap, and these Zoodles with Exquisite Hazelnut-Carrot Sauce are the next. I ate them yesterday, and I’ll eat them again tomorrow!
‘But what’s a zoodle?’ I hear you cry. Well, that clever name actually refers to noodles made from zucchini – by your very own fair hand.
They couldn’t be simpler or quicker to make – just grab one of these spiralizers if you don’t have one already, and get zoodling!
The zoodles are a massive part of this recipe – and have much to recommend them over traditional pasta, spaghetti or noodles (more on that later) but it’s the blend of the rest of the ingredients and the sauce that really sets this recipe apart.
If you look at the ingredients list it’s actually very simple (even a little plain looking, to the naked eye) but somehow it all comes alive when thrown together.
Every taste compliments another, and the little bursts of flavour that strike out on their own will be sure to delight any palate.
There’s a reason why spiralized veggies are so popular right now. What have you got to lose?
Health Benefits – Zoodles with Exquisite Hazelnut-Carrot Sauce
Weighing in at around ⅛ the calories and ⅛ the carbs when compared to regular pasta, spaghetti or noodles the properties of zucchini are really quite astounding.
They’re also very filling – and won’t leave you with that lethargic, gluten-heavy feeling many people get after a bowl of pasta.
This recipe also includes the awesome carrot – more and more detailed research is coming in on them – and it’s all good news.
Carrots provide huge amounts of different vitamins, nutrients and beta carotene; in a nut (carrot?) shell they’ll help to protect you against cardiovascular disease, cancer and many other illnesses (1).
And did I mention nuts? Well, maybe in the first sentence of this post, but allow me to expand.
This research from Harvard shows that nuts reduce cholesterol, lower the risk of type 2 diabetes, colon cancer, gall stones and heart disease. And keep you slim. Wowww!!!
Soooooooo…. convinced? 😉
Zucchini Noodles (Zoodles) with Exquisite Hazelnut-Carrot Sauce (30 Mins, Vegetarian)
For the Zoodles
- 1 large zucchini
- 2 tbsp olive oil (for frying)
For the sauce:
- Use Greek yoghurt instead of the créme fraiche to make it healthier. (again a light version works, or make it vegan with your favourite non-dairy cream. Our nutritional info is from a version made with 2% Greek yogurt.)
- 1 sprig basil to garnish
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar (or lemon juice if you like a little sourness. Always taste test your food :))
- Use a spiral maker to make the zoodles or if you don’t have one just simply dice up the zucchini.
- Peel and grate the carrots (if you buy organic carrots then you don’t really need to peel), dice the onion.
- Put the zoodles in a big frying pan with oil and cook them on medium heat.
- Crush the hazelnuts (or just buy crushed hazelnuts to save time!) in a different frying pan and toast them first (without oil) until just browned. They smell awesome so don’t be tempted to let them burn while you’re inhaling the delicious aroma 😉
- Add the oil, onion and carrot mix to the hazelnuts and fry gently on a medium heat until soft but not browned.
- Turn the heat off and mix in the tomato purée and créme fraiche and stir ‘til everything is mixed well (make sure it doesn’t boil or burn!). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- And last but not least add the sauce to the zoodles and mix in.
- If you want you can garnish it with a sprig of fresh basil.
- Mmmmhhh yummy!!! Enjoy!!!
Recipe inspired by Vegetarian Living.
Miss anything? Get it on
Disclosure of Material Connection: The products above are linking to Amazon as “affiliate links” because we're affiliates! When you click on a product, it'll take you to its Amazon page where the price stays the same for you and Amazon pays us a small percentage. This helps us continue to provide quality recipes and pay for operating costs.