Salads might be the go-to healthy meal but sometimes you’re just too hungry for a light bowl of greens…. Enter our vegan lentil and potato salad.
The mustard based sauce mixes delightfully with the fresh herbs and veggies, and the cooked lentils and potatoes to form the ultimate high-protein salad.
It’s the perfect blend of healthy, and nutritious while still being satisfying and full of protein. And it’s totally vegan!
In fact, it’s so healthy that it’s a part of our free seven day meal plan AND our vegetarian for weightloss transformation program. So if you’re looking at this vegan lentil and potato salad recipe because you’re interested in losing weight, you should check out those programs!
You should also check out our vegan lentil salad that skips the potatoes.
Another healthy weight loss salad recipe?
Before you complain about having seen this before, let us assure you that this is no average weight loss salad recipe.
First of all, it’s packed with flavour from the fresh herbs and mustard sauce.
Second of all, it’s the definition of a high protein salad with lentils as a base. (Fyi, lentils are probably one of the best foods to eat to lose weight).
Third of all, it’s not the kind of weight loss salad that will leave you hungry. This is a strong, hearty salad thanks to those potatoes.
So basically it’s perfect as a weight loss meal, because it’s tasty, filling and nutritious. We really couldn’t ask for more.
Ok, rant over.
Whether you’re looking for a weight loss recipe or not, you should keep reading for a step by step guide to the creation of this fabulous brown lentil salad.
How to make the best vegan lentil and potato salad
First things first, the potatoes need to be cooked. If you’re asking yourself how to cook potatoes for potato salad, rest assured that it’s not any different than cooking potatoes for anything else.
You can either toss them in the microwave or boil them in salted water. Either way, make sure they’re well cooked.
While the potatoes are being cooked, chop the onions, bell peppers and fresh parsley. This part upgrades the salad from a generic one, to a turkish salad recipe (and it’s really too tasty to be generic).
You can mix in the cooked or canned lentils at this point too!
Then you whip up a creamy mustard based sauce that includes vinegar, olive oil, mustard, maple syrup, salt and pepper.
Fun fact! Did you know that mustard is often in salad dressings because oil and vinegar won’t mix without it?
Pour the dressing over the ingredients you put together above.
Now, there’s only one thing left. By this point, you should really know what’s coming since the word is literally in the title.
It’s time to add the potatoes to our vegan lentil and potato salad.
And that’s it! This vegan lentil and potato salad really is fabulously easy.
Whether you came looking for a hearty and warm lentil salad, a turkish salad or high protein vegan salad, this recipe is what you’re looking for.
Vegan Lentil and Potato Salad
- 4 medium potato (500g / 17.5oz)
- 1 cup brown lentils, cooked
- ½ red onion
- 1 handful parsley, fresh (dried will work in a push)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp vinegar (choose your favourite, all go well!)
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 1 tsp maple syrup (or honey for non-vegans)
- 1 bell pepper, red (green or red)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Using a microwave: Set the microwave to 1000w. 4 medium potatoes will need roughly 10 minutes cooking. Depending on amount and size of the potatoes you'll have to reduce or add a couple of minutes of microwaving. If you use the stove, cook the potatoes in salty boiling water for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Dice up the onion and cut the bell pepper into small pieces. Add both to a salad bowl.
- Mix in the lentils (previously drained and rinsed; if you use dry lentils, cook according to package instructions first).
- Rip up the parsley and add it to the bowl as well.
- Now in with the vinegar, olive oil, mustard, maple syrup, salt and pepper and stir it all nicely.
- Now assemble the salad with the cooked potatoes. Enjoy!